Friday, February 6, 2009

The magnificent seven


Seven is a magical number. The Japanese believe it to be lucky, there were seven samurai, after all.

Manchester United, arguably the most famous football team on the planet, bestow the 7 shirt upon their star performer: George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona, David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo all made their mark in the 7 shirt.

There are seven deadly sins.

It’s a prime number, which means it is only divisible by one and itself. So it seems highly appropriate that yours truly has now got seven followers.

SEVEN.

It seems like only yesterday that my good friend from California, Jennifer Walker-Shannon, became my first follower. Swiftly followed (excuse the pun) by Donnac1968 and Steve.

However, it really was only yesterday that the number of followers swelled to over twice its size.

Mark Stanley from the Emerald Isle has joined the fold. He’s the marketing manager for a very worthy not-for-profit organisation called Citywise which was set up to run education, sporting and personal development programmes. I can really empathise with Mark, sometimes it feels as though my career in journalism is a not-for-profit venture! Gerry Adams recently visited Citywise. As a journalist I’d love to pose a few questions to him. I’d have to tread carefully though, you get the impression he could be a bit touchy.

Karen Snyder became by second female Stateside follower. Her excellent blog, Tales From The Social Media Front line, is very high brow. Karen describes herself as a "Social Media Ninja". I’m sure she could show me a few social media moves. Her favourite music is UB40. She seems to have painted herself into an unusual corner there readers! Red, Red Wine. A classic.

Karen also follows a blog called Fuck You, Penguin which has over 3700 followers. WOW. I’ve decided to follow that one to see how it’s done. All of a sudden my magnificent seven is starting to look a trifle under-whelming. No offence followers – as Donnac1968 says, from small acorns do mighty oaks grow, hopefully!

Next up is Vince another American. I think it’s fair to say he’s a serial follower. Vince currently follows over 170 different blogs. You’ve got to admire the Americans’ work ethic. When he’s not following blogs Vince is a copywriter. So, hopefully he’s be able to pick me up on my typos. I should also add that Vince has 69 followers of his own.

Last, but by no means least, is Jack Nork. Jack is yet another American. He’s got three blogs on the go. Like I say, you’ve got to admire the Americans’ work ethic. I don’t know if Jack is aware, but his surname might well raise a few smiles back in my hometown Lincoln, as another word for tits is norks. No offence.

I’ve got to go now readers. I’ve got an interview for a new evening job at Blockbusters, just to make ends meet before my journalism starts covering costs.

See ya :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment